We are ensuring that the UK Nannies Matter campaign makes industry-wide change by lobbying MPs across the country.
We are asking for you to join in on the lobbying by sending your MP an email or letter.
Step 1: Identify your MP
It takes just a couple of minutes to find your MP and how to contact them. Click on the button below:
Step 2: Contact your MP
Simply copy and paste our templated message below and create a personalised email or letter to lobby your MP.
Thank you for your support.
Together Nannies Are Stronger
MP Letter Template:
Simply copy and paste and then personalise before sending to your MP.
[Your Address Line 1]
[Your Address Line 3]
[Your Address Line 3]
Dear [Your MP’s Name Here],
Re: UK Nanny starts a new campaign ‘UK Nannies Matter’
I hope this letter finds you safe and well.
I am writing to ask you to pledge your support for the recently launched UK Nannies Matter campaign. This campaign was launched by four leading childcare and education professionals from all parts of the UK: Helen McCarthy, Maria Culley, Allie Bell, and Laura Hellfeld.
The UK Nannies Matter campaign was founded to help secure regulation and professional status of Nannies. The Nanny industry has no educational requirements for Nanny status and there is no regulating body to ensure that individual Nannies have background checks and up-to-date paediatric first-aid and insurance. This lack of regulation reduces the quality of childcare and is a safeguarding issue of the children cared for.
The need for a regulating Nanny body has been highlighted by the current COVID-19 pandemic. Nannies are receiving mixed messages from the government, Nanny associations, and payroll companies on how to be delivering childcare. This has led to Nannies being in unsafe situations and without income.
This campaign aims to set minimum standards to become a professional Nanny, outline a Nanny pay-scale, to encourage policymakers to ensure the safeguarding of children by regulating Nannies, and for parents to feel confident about who they employ as their Nanny that is taking care of their children within the home setting.
To Advocate Nannies in the Early Years Sector by:
- Creating a guided pay scale.
- Creating terms and conditions of employment through an employment contract.
- Establish a minimum requirement of knowledge and qualifications to benchmark a professional Nanny.
- Provide a credible CPD journey to allow professional Nannies to adhere to and maintain a certain standard within the industry.
- A system/register recognising credible childcarers, similar to Ofsted regulating Childminders/Nurseries.
Providing Regulation Would:
- Revise the quality and standard of care in the home-based Early Years Sector.
- Give Nannies a scale to work towards, giving them a vision, career path and guidance.
- Give parents the reassurance of grades of childcare and value for salaries offered.
- Safeguard children.
- Increase the general safety of Nannies while working in the industry and the children being cared for.
Proposed Minimum Requirement of Professional Status:
- A recognised childcare qualification of study of at least 1 year-e.g. Cache L3 in Childcare/Early Years Foundation Degree
- Nanny Insurance
- DBS Enhanced Certificate
- 12 Hour Paediatric First Aid
Regulating UK Nannies is a necessity, as it establishes a high-quality of childcare, safeguards children and empowers Nannies as a Professional.
[Consider including why the UK Nannies Matter Campaign is important to you]
As my MP, I hope you are committed to ensuring high-quality childcare and the safeguarding of children.
I look forward to hearing from you.
[Your Contact Telephone Number]